Welcome
Welcome to c3riders

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

CPI Oliver City 50 arrived yesterday!

Talk about anything scooter related

CPI Oliver City 50 arrived yesterday!

Postby gitsum » Fri May 27, 2011 2:53 pm

CPI is made in Taiwan, and the price was right, reviews were good, so I ordered off the internet sight unseen.

The Oliver City arrived completely assembled except for the battery and mirrors. The shipping crate was well designed and the scooter showed up without a scratch.

I'm building quite a collection of different scooters, but I will try to compare the Oliver City directly to the Yamaha C3 when applicable.

Did a thorough PDI on it, changed the fluids before even starting. The 2-stroke oil and the gear oil actually looked like decent lubricants, no Chinese cooking oil. The only things that I noticed were the bolts on the exhaust header needed a little extra tightening and the hose from the bottom of the oil tank was held on by a small wire clip. Just a nice little tug pulled the hose out, so I cut off half an inch and put a much more secure clamp on. There was a lot of air in the hose between the oil tank and the oil pump. Luckily the oil pump had a bleed screw on it, so problem solved easily.

The Oliver City is big for a 49cc. The chassis dimensions including the wheel base are much larger than the C3, about the size of a standard 125-150cc scooter. Good and bad. Suspension travel is better and there is a lot more room onboard, even enough for two people to ride with a reasonable amount of comfort. The turning radius is larger, the center of gravity a little higher, and low speed maneuverability is not quite as quick as the C3. The overall ride is smoother and larger bumps are more controlled. The Oliver City comes with a 3-way adjustable rear shock with an included tool. The second setting feels on the firm side for a 170 pound rider, but in a nice way. The suspension set up feels sporty, encouraging more aggressive cornering and leaning than when riding a C3. The tires are wide and low profile, 120/70/12 upfront and 130/70/12 on the rear. Turn in takes more effort than the C3, but once changing directions it feels nimble enough. The CPI has nice big thick disc brake rotor upfront, with a capable drum in the rear.

Switches, controls, fit and finish are on par with the C3. With only a few miles, I haven't wicked the throttle more than 2/3 yet, but the two-stroke definitely has more pep than the 3-valve fuel injected Yamaha. The carb tuning feels good with no adjustments needed. The variator and weights feel just right, I can't imagine changing anything there except perhaps switch to the same weight sliders.

A digital clock on the dash is a nice touch, the header and pipe are really nice quality and great looking. The locking gas cap is pretty trick, you insert the key and twist the top part of the cap without moving the key itself, easily done especially when wearing gloves.

All of the hoses and electrical connections were good quality, no Chinese plastic-rubber. Stainless steel brake line. Seat storage is average, a 3/4 helmet fits but a full face is too big. The Oliver City does have a nice big flat luggage rack begging for a top case. The deck is flat and enourmous, with cut outs for the riders feet to really allow stretching out ones legs. Standard bag hook of course, with plenty of room for both a couple of bags and your feet.

It's hard to make a direct comparison between the two, besides engine size they don't have a lot in common. The C3 is quieter, more fuel efficient, easier to handle at low speeds. The Oliver City is more stable at higher speeds, with both the sportier suspension and stronger powerband encouraging a more aggressive riding style. I guess it would boil down to personal preference, but I think I like the bigger feel of the Oliver City, it actually feels more like my Elite 110. More importantly, my 16 year old son absolutely loves it ;)

Pictures don't do it justice, in person the Oliver City looks really nice, bigger and sportier than the C3. At a price of $1599 delivered for a quality made in Taiwan scooter it's a nice alternative to the premium priced Yamaha C3. But it's not fuel injected, water cooled and doesn't get 115 mpg. While the Oliver City might be faster than the the C3, you can't run an air cooled two-stroke at WOT indefinitely like the Yamaha is famous for :)

I'll add a few pics here later.
Last edited by gitsum on Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2012 Honda CBR250R
gitsum

Have thanks: 4 time

Re: CPI Oliver City 50 arrived yesterday!

Postby gitsum » Sat May 28, 2011 12:52 am

Went on a nice slow lazy midnight ride around town with my son. We cruised around 25 mph most of the time, a couple of bursts up to 35 mph and a lot of stop and go from intersections.

I forgot how sweet the C3 is! It's the king of relaxing low speed prowling on city streets. Quiet, agile and easy to handle, almost no effort needed.

We found out the Oliver City had a restriction on it. We kept the speed below 25 mph for the first 25 miles or so. It ran out of power at 30 mph.

I found a magnetic sensor in the CVT cover reading the revs on the clutch. It had a lead running directly to the CDI. Simply removed the wire and sensor then unplugged from the CDI. We now have about 50 miles on the odometer, and have run it to 35 mph with plenty of throttle left.

2012 Honda CBR250R
gitsum

Postby Andy302 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:53 am

Wow, that looks like a heck of a bargain! Hope it proves reliable and fun for many miles. :)

gitsum wrote:The suspension set up feels sporty, encouraging more aggressive cornering and leaning than when riding a C3. The tires are wide and low profile, 120/70/12 upfront and 130/70/12 on the rear.

It's fitting that these two sentences are side-by-side. I see you have the stock tires on the C3. I'd be interested in whether there's much difference in aggressive cornering confidence between these bikes if you had some Boppers or similar on the Yamaha. That made all the difference in the world for me!
Andy302

Have thanks: 5 time

Postby gitsum » Sat May 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah, I'm going to put some new tires on the C3. I was just waiting to get some use out of the old tires, but it doesn't look like the stock ones are ever gonna wear out :(

I might go with some Kenda 413's. When I replaced the narrow stock tires on my Elite 110, the Kenda 413 was the only tire that had both front and rear in the sizes I needed. So I took a chance and ended up being very happy with them.
2012 Honda CBR250R
gitsum

Postby gitsum » Sun May 29, 2011 6:12 pm

After riding the Oliver City for a couple of days, my son just mentioned to me that he couldn't quite flatfoot at a stop.
I didn't realize 'cuz my inseam is about 3" inches longer than his.

Simple solution.

Switch the OKO 5-way adjustable 260mm shock on my SYM DD50 with the 3-way adjustable 280mm shock on the Oliver City. Perfect! Lowered the scooter 3/4" and now he can reach the ground comfortably. Ground clearance is not an issue 'cuz the Oliver City has an extra 3" on the C3. You can feel the center of gravity is just a bit lower, enhancing the handling a little. We were also able to dial in a better preload with the OKO at setting 2, while the stock 3-way Oliver shock was just a bit harsh on 2, but a little too soft on 1.
2012 Honda CBR250R
gitsum

Postby gitsum » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:09 pm

The CPI Oliver City has 200 miles on it. So we gave it some WOT and tested the top speed. It would go to 35 nicely and then creep up to 40 mph, that's it.

My son was having second thoughts about trading in the C3 for it, so I decided to tune it further.
The electronic limiter with a sensor for the clutch rpm's was pretty restrictive, so I initially thought that would be all for the restrictions.

Wrong! There was a thin metal washer in the variator and the air box snorkel was smaller than a dime. Raised the needle jet one notch and drilled the main jet to #60.5 from #50, richened the air mixture screw 1 turn and opened up the air box quite a bit. It choked at WOT, and the midrange was pretty rough. Snorkel back in, drilled one 1/4" hole in the air box and reset the air mixture screw.

Damn, that was too easy! Got it spot on through the entire power band and it tops at between 45-50mph, depending on wind or if you are on level ground or not. Pulls to 40 mph pretty aggressively, then you have to have a little room to wind it out the rest of the way. Ordered some 5.5 gram Dr. Pulley sliders to replace the stock 5.8 gram rollers.
Overall the throttle feels more responsive and it has a bit more pep to it. My son is happy with it, at least for now ;)

Valley Scooters delivered a good product for the price, but they really should not advertise "48 mph out of the box", considering all the restrictions it had.
2012 Honda CBR250R
gitsum

Return to Scooter Talk