Welcome
Welcome to c3riders

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Captains Log Stardate 2013

Talk about anything scooter related

Captains Log Stardate 2013

Postby ozark » Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 am

My C3

Purchased April 26th 2013

Checked the oil level, inflated the tires and filled the gas tank with fresh fuel adding some "Yamaha Ring Free" to the gas.
I did this because even though the gas smelled fresh enough I didn't have a clue how long the bike may have sat around.

I took a ride and noticed a rattle coming from the rear fender.
Tightned down a loose reflector and checked a few more nuts and bolts while I was at it.

Since it appeared that the scooter hadn't been washed since it left the factory back in 2009, decided to ride to the car wash and sprayed the hell out of it.
After that I rode the snot out of it till it got dark. It was great!
So far I'm having fun with the little scooter as it runs strong and rides decent, even better than the Little Ruckus.
Last edited by ozark on Wed May 01, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ozark

Have thanks: 7 time

Re: Captains Log Stardate 2013

Postby ozark » Wed May 01, 2013 12:44 pm

This is the unwashed since it left the factory in 2009 look.

Threw the 49cc plate on it untill I get around to making it legal.
Last edited by ozark on Wed May 01, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ozark

Re: El Capitan's Log Stardate 2013

Postby ozark » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Monday April 27th 2013 "It's a new day"

Rode to work and then got started on the C3.

Drained the crackcase oil and grabbed a quart bottle of Yamalube 10w/40 to refill the crankcase. A quart bottle of any decent grade 10W/40 would do.
Don't forget to pull the screen filter out of the bottom of the engine and spray it off with carb cleaner and reinstall. I believe it's a 17mm socket.
Used about 9/10th's of the quart in the crackcase and saved the rest for later.

When filling the crankcase about 3/4 of the way up on the dipstick gauge is just fine. This prevents blow back, and aids in engine performance.
Do not screw in the dipstick to check the level, just insert the stick and then remove to check.
Started the scooter and checked for leaks then shut off and rechecked the dipstick level.

Finishing that I turned my attention to the gearbox.

Changed the transmission gear box oil and filled with Valvoline 75W/90 gear oil.
You can use the remaining 1/10th of the quart of the 10W40 left over from changing the crankcase and it will work just fine.

This is where the Valvoline pointy nose bottle came in handy though, to get the oil in that little hole in the side of the case.

Used some carb cleaner and a rag to start cleaning off any grime I could reach under the bike.
Started spraying parts on the scooter with Bel Ray 6in1 oil to lube things up and help prevent corrosion.
Used it on the center stand, ignition and trunk locks plus the brake linkage.

That was enough for the day so I went for a ride.

It's fast for a 49cc but the Rev Limiter is something that needs to be addressed in the future, but for now I'm just going to order some 5gm rollers.
I'll check when I install the rollers to see if the limiting washer on the variator has been moved to the rear of the plate.
The acceleration from a stop is kinda slow so hoping to knock it up a notch and still be able to peg the speedo before the limiter kicks in.
ozark

Postby ozark » Thu May 02, 2013 6:10 am

Tuesday April 28th 2013

Took the left side body panel off for the first time to access the airbox so I could clean it up and check the air filter.
Simple procedure other than I had to find a torx wrench to remove the front cover. Why Yamaha used a torx bolt I have no idea.
Found a small amount of oil residue in the box probably from someone over filling the crankcase in the past. Nothing major and I just wiped it out.
The air filter was dirty but reusable after a good blow job with compressed air.
Removed the metal screen from the back of the filter because some have stated that they thought it was a restricter of the air flow.
My take on this is that it's there to add support and reduce air turbulance in the airbox. I don't expect any noticable gain from removing the screen.

The brake cables where a little sticky so I lubed them up good, once again using the Bel-Ray 6 in 1 spray lubricant.
The brakes worked with ease and no more resistance from the cables. This should help protect them from any further corrosion of the cables.

This is some great stuff to have around the shop.
ozark

Postby Ben L. » Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 am

Looking good! The oil in your intake box is from the crankcase breather. I took mine out and routed it to the ground.
2011 Mobile Throne Build Thread: 2011-c3-mobile-throne-t516.html
2007 Second Chance Build Thread: 2007-c3-second-chance-t794.html
Ben L.

Have thanks: 26 time
Highscores: 24

Postby ozark » Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 am

Could very well be that Ben and I'll check the routing of that crankcase breather.
ozark

Postby ozark » Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 am

Wednesday May 1st 2013

Headed out for the the first offical outing with the C3, meeting friends at the local brew house.

Later we headed over to meet the rest of the group at Sonic Burgers and grab a dinner of Tater Tots.

It was a beautiful spring evening for riding.

Next up the anti-freeze swap!
ozark

Postby ozark » Sat May 04, 2013 6:39 am

Thursday May 2nd 2013

I like to replace the anti freeze in my rides about every 5 years or so and with the C3 being an 09 model figured it was a good time to do it.
Removed the right side plastics and the radiator shroud to drain, flush and refill the radiator with some fresh 50/50 mix.
All in all a pretty simple procedure and while I had the covers removed cleaned off any of the 6 year old crud that I could reach.

Installed a different license plate from the dealer where I get most of my Yamaha parts.
Figured I could support them by doing some cheap advertising.

My "Grab On" grip covers had come in so I slipped them on and got ready for the ride home in what was a monsoon of pouring down rain.
The scooters performace was less than spectacular on the ride and I had a tough time hitting the rev limiter or pegging the speedo.
Felt like the tires were under inflated.
Figured it was either the rain that was slowing me down or I did something to the throttle while installing the grip covers.
Will take it for another ride to investagate further if the rain every ends.

The 5 gram rollers arrived today so the CVT is next up on the agenda.
ozark

Postby ozark » Mon May 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Took time today and installed some 5gr rollers replacing the stock ones.
Seems to have better acceleration and climbs hills better. Didn't notice any loss in top end either.

I didn't know that Sears sold this stuff. :o
ozark

Postby Ben L. » Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Thats crazy. I didn't know either.
2011 Mobile Throne Build Thread: 2011-c3-mobile-throne-t516.html
2007 Second Chance Build Thread: 2007-c3-second-chance-t794.html
Ben L.

Have thanks: 26 time
Highscores: 24

Next