Welcome
Welcome to c3riders

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

new to c3s!

Talk about anything scooter related

new to c3s!

Postby rjones35 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:03 pm

I don't actually have one yet. I'm trying to talk myself into a C3 instead of a 125-150cc something. Just using it for fun, cruising around. I thing the 50 would be okay, just wondering about the speed/power.... the c3 is just so cool looking!

I'm looking at two used ones in town - a 2009 with 2000 miles, and a 2007 with 3000. About the same price 1000.00ish. 2009 has new spare tire, new rear shock. 2007 has new fuel pump, new battery, rear rack.

You guys have any thoughts? Anything I should be looking for or avoiding?

Thanks

Rob
rjones35

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: new to c3s!

Postby twowheelsgood » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Hello rjones35. :)

I am a recent convert myself.

It is by far the lowest powered bike I have ever had. However, that power is perfectly adequate to do all you need in urban transport. Especially considering the extra few mph the C3 has over it's european counterpart the Giggle. If you need a little more, it can be obtained easily and without overstressing your motor very reasonably.

I can't see any advantages and see many disadvantages a 125 might offer in town or city riding.

I wouldn't expect the low mileage examples you mention to have developed too much in the way of faults. In fact I am not aware of them having any particular known issues apart from the now resolved fuel pump.

I would tend to automatically go for the lower milage. In this case though the difference is so low as to hardly be relevant. More important than the miles would be how they were ridden. You might get a gauge of the level of care of the previous owner by the general condition.

The included accessories are worth consideration.

Why for example has the 09 already needed a new tire and shock? A performance upgrade? You might expect other upgrades before that. The extra new spare tyre is of course a bonus.

The 07 one probably needed the fuel pump replaced under the recall. The rack would be getting on for £100 delivered in the UK and so a serious consideration for me all other things being equal.

A choice of two locally! I have just discovered that there are only 175 giggles currently registered for the road in the whole of the UK. They are clearly more appreciated over there.

I have had mc/s on and off for almost 50 yrs. I have never found any other bike as easy, convenient, cheap to run or as much fun to ride as my giggle. We are all different and have different needs though. I think though if up to 40mph speed and handling more than capable of those speeds were what you wanted, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Just a thought on the pillion issue.

I believe the North American models are marketed as single person vehicle. I am unsure if this is legislative or not. Here in europe it is considered capable of carrying a passenger. It has a virtually useless grab strap on the seat and almost equally useless pillion foot pads. You might want to clarify this if you wished to ever carry a passenger. I can confirm that it's more than capable with an acceptable performance hit.
twowheelsgood

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby rjones35 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi!! Thanks! I'm like you, lower mileage automatically, but I thought about the shock and tire too. Not sure. Do you, or anybody else, know, is there much difference between the 2007 and 2009? other than one is two years older. Did anything thing, improve, or not?
rjones35

Postby rjones35 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:47 pm

I just read about a recall for 2007 connecting rods. That doesn't sound good.
rjones35

Postby Ben L. » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:51 am

I would lean toward the 2009. They had the recall problems solved by then.
2011 Mobile Throne Build Thread: 2011-c3-mobile-throne-t516.html
2007 Second Chance Build Thread: 2007-c3-second-chance-t794.html
Ben L.

Have thanks: 26 time
Highscores: 24

Postby baheno » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 am

Many of you talk about problems with the fuel pump. Is there a break in production years when they oficcially have said that they solved that problem?

Can one tell by looking at the pump if its the same as the ones causing problems?!
baheno

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby rjones35 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 am

Yeah I am leaning towards the 2009,mainly because its 2 years newer and the recall stuff was taken care of, although, did the fuel pump recall effect different years or just 2007? I think I might be able to get the 2007 cheaper and in the pics anyway, looks better. I need to go look at them both and go from there.
rjones35

Postby rjones35 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Going to look at the 2009 tomorrow. He just put the new tire on, and its a "size bigger" than stock and he had to take the plastic fender off. Should this be a concern? Said he got a nail in the stock one and couldn't get a plug to hold, which I can believe, I've had that happen on cars before.
rjones35

Postby boxybrown » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Removing the rear fender is needed to run the next size bigger tire, a 130/90-10. I would see of he still has it. The 130 will give you better top speed, but might hurt acceleration a little. Nothing a little cvt tuning won't fix.
2007 Yamaha C3- 52-mph-c3-t578.html
boxybrown

Have thanks: 19 time

Postby twowheelsgood » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:58 pm

rjones35 wrote: He just put the new tire on, and its a "size bigger" than stock and he had to take the plastic fender off. Should this be a concern? Said he got a nail in the stock one and couldn't get a plug to hold,

But why the shock too? Unless he is a particularly heavy person it's a strange first upgrade.

Suitable 230mm shocks aren't exactly plentiful or always easy to find. Personally I would be keen to see that rear fender (mudguard) , UNDAMAGED. It would also be interesting to know if he made any transmission upgrades.

Don't know what your climate or riding habits are but I wouldn't want to run it through a UK winter without the mudguard (fender :))
twowheelsgood

Have thanks: 2 time

Next

Return to Scooter Talk