Welcome
Welcome to c3riders

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pair of C3's with new pumps today, 1 running and 1 not

Talk about anything scooter related

Pair of C3's with new pumps today, 1 running and 1 not

Postby Doug Doty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm

I joined here in 2013 when I had just bought a pair of 09 C3's for campground weekends and both barely ran of what appeared to be fuel pump problems pre-existing my purchase. Since that was the last time the campground allowed scooters without full license plates, they just sit quietly stored and covered in my home garage shop, not for sale cause I just loved the little guys. Even dead they were the best sitting and riding little scooters I had ever seen, Only got to put 20 miles on the red one that took it up to 860 that weekend and 120 all total on the other silver one up to 960 total before parking them. Fast forward almost 4 years and I have changed professions to being a used car lot owner with motorcycle dealer plates I can put on anything I want so guess what !!! I re-placed both pumps and added brand new AGM batteries yesterday and today and my silver one is running like a top again, It always was the better, but was a short struggle to get it started. My red one is balking on starting up thus far. I have read everything here and feel good to work on it again tomorrow. I may need only to do the slow twist of the throttle while keeping it going on starter fluid to calibrate the TPS and ECM as mentioned in other threads. FYI, I swapped the gas out for non alcohol gas back when I got them as I do with all small engines so they were stored with no alcohol fuel fortunately. Even so I am draining the tanks on both as I go and adding fresh fuel. This second one will start on starting fluid and I have kept it running 30 plus seconds at a slow idle but dies instantly if I take away the starting fluid soaked rag vapors in the air box. One of my pumps was bought years ago on ebay when they were $40 and the newest 2nd pump this week for $20 these days. This newer pump looks nicer comes with the right sock, and runs and maybe sounds a bit louder and I don't feel like I ever heard it change pitch and actually prime and bog down like the first one did, I am questioning polarity although the terminals are polarized with spade size so ??. I am going to start in the morning by decoupling the fuel pump outlet hose at the top of the fuel pump assy. there is a white locking tab that releases it, and use a test hose to a clear bottle to verify flow. If good there, then I will pull the hose to and including the injector assy. and check for test spray while cranking. I guess if it has fuel pressure but no flow at injector and I can detect it clicking I will soak in sea foam to try and un clog and proceed from there to swapping my good injector from repaired scooter before buying a new injector.

i am writing this up to help others if they happen to follow this same path. I will update over the next days until fixed for archive purposes. Seems all the information needed is hear and a lot of it is a SPECIAL Thanks to Gabe for being so persistently helpful over the years on these C3 Scooters.

P.S. I easily found a PDF version of the yamaha full 348 page service manual on these C3 machines with a 10 second google search. I will attempt to include the link when I return with my tomorrows efforts report.
Doug Doty

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Pair of C3's with new pumps today, 1 running and 1 not

Postby Doug Doty » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Well I got it fixed today, pretty quick deal. I first tried rolling the throttle a few times while cranking but no luck. I kept coming back to this second pump sounding different so I got a short test hose and decoupled the injector hose from the top of the pump assy. Then pushed a 18" section of test hose onto the pumps output nipple and looped it over to and back into the gas cap hole in the top of the tank and sure enough it was pumping but when I tried restricting it with my thumb it had no detectable pressure. I suspected some kind of internal leak so I pulled the pump assy. back out and disassembled the pump from the housing, test fit one of my old pumps and it was a loose rattling type of fit with no apparent sealing between it and the white plastic housing, obviously not right. Went and found the other old pump and sure enough the oring that made the seal came out on that pump instead of staying in the housing like the first one did and I just did not catch it at the time. Moved the oring back to the housing and reinstalled the pump back into the housing and once reinstalled it fired right up and sounds perfect. SO that is two different pumps from years apart from ebay and both are fine, just done miss your oring when you swap it. !!! For what it it worth on batteries I got three of the KINETIK AGM batteries on ebay for $21.99 ea. w/ free ship and all three when put on my multibank battery tender were showing fully charged within 10 minutes. These agm batteries come in ready to go since they are agm so you do not have to pour the acid into them and pre charge. just worked out nice and I was real happy with them.

I do have this service repair manual on pdf if anyone needs it. I see I can add a image but not a way to include it here. It was a quick and easy find on google....

Doug Doty

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Scooter Talk